Monday, August 18, 2008

Is blogging arrogant?

I'm staring at the screen really wondering about this. The fact that I feel free to put personal thoughts (well, sort of personal) out into cyberspace, assuming that people are sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to read about what's going on in my life, should tell you a lot about me. It should probably tell you that I would really rather type all this out than talk on the phone to everybody, and it should probably tell you that I have way too much free time in the summer. It should also tell you that I am procrastinating doing something I really don't want to do, or that I am trying to listen to something on my computer and I needed something tactile to do. It might tell you that I really think my life is fascinating and I think it would bless you to know about it. It also might tell you that I have been reading way too much Chuck Klosterman. Thinking about this makes me feel bad about people who blog and blog and blog and no one ever reads it or comments on it, and their blog is like some silent scream for companionship or approval or just some hope for an echo. Sometimes I'll hit the "View Next Blog" button just so people get hits on their profile. Turns out this is really dangerous, so I don't really do that very often anymore. I accidentally wandered into some weird alternate reality involving heroes from Disney movies. I don't want to talk about it. Anyway, I am procrastinating so... thanks for coming out tonight! You guys are great! Yeah it's arrogant.

2 comments:

John Ellmore said...

Haha.

That's pretty much how I feel whenever I write. I tend to see blogging's purpose as a way for an individual to express their thoughts without needing a media-sponsored publication. But that doesn't make me feel any better when I write. I guess that everyone sort of feels like they're elevating themselves above the crowd when they write a post. And it's weird, when you consider yourself to be a moderately humble person.

capnwatsisname said...

Today, I think it depends on the writer. Some days, I want to shut it down out of sheer embarrassment. But it's like any other kind of writing or speaking in that way, isn't it? Except that blogging is a bit more "Hey, everyone, come see how good I look" than it is "can I buy your coffee?" I don't know. But I have more contact with people like you with blogs than without.